Wednesday 17 October 2012

Candlelit '20s

A night out by candlelight

Since moving to London I have been itching to engage with the history of the place - so much as passed within these walls, and on these streets, and I was sure that somewhere in London I could find a bit that felt like the past.

You have moments, walking through the old cobblestone streets that survive in London, under the eaves of Tudor buildings (Tony always tells me they're fake), when you feel like you're transported to another time. They're rare as you travel your way to work on the tube in your corporate suit but they are there.

They are also there when you look for them. I went hunting for a 1920s night - and I found it. The Candlelight Club is a 'secret club' (with a facebook site and a webpage). Every month they organise and run a 1920s night with well researched cocktails, a band playing hits from the 20s, champagne in flat glasses, and a slightly different take on the 20s each time. During the Olympics it was 'games in the 20s', before that 'rum runners', and the weekend we got tickets for - 'an Indian Summer'.

Tony decided that if I was going to drag him along to this pretend night in the 20s, that he would at least embrace it full on. He shaved his beard off - much to my horror, found the suite in his wardrobe that suited the indian theme the best, and got into the drinking champagne out of flat glasses thing with gusto.

I decided I wouldn't wear the flapper dress I made last year - as every other girl would be in one. I instead chose to be a little ahead of the times with a 1930s dress in silk, floor length, with batwings, covered in a frangipani pattern, to better complement the Indian nights.

The nights are impeccably organised - secret locations communicated the night before, excellently researched cocktails, nibbles, and band. We spent half the night drinking and eating and watching everyone else, and the rest of the night carving up the dance floor - not sure dancing salsa to 20s is quite the done thing but oh well.



The room is entirely lit by candlelight - and I had never realised quite how bright the rooms must have been before lightbulbs. I did go home covered in candlewax - and looked up how to remove it the next morning - but it gave the whole night a special feel.

We are booked to go to the next one with a group of friends - Halloween Ball 20s style - suggestions for costumes welcome. Can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment